Join Chester County this summer in “Journeying Toward Freedom” during the 2021 Town Tours and Village Walks program!
This year’s program will kick off on Thursday, June 17, with a virtual ceremony and Juneteenth Commemoration starting at 5:00 pm, followed by optional in-person walking tours at 6:45 pm at the Chester County History Center.
Much like last year, the virtual programs will occur “Live at 5” on Thursday evenings throughout June, July, and August – however this year will bring back the program’s original walking tour component (on a limited basis).
Through the 2021 Town Tours and Village Walks program, individuals can learn about the founding principles and the sites in Chester County that were intrinsic to our nation’s history and had a profound impact on the cause for freedom. From the Quaker values of tolerance and necessary civil disobedience to the boundary dispute with Maryland and the drawing of the fateful Mason and Dixon Line, Chester County’s abolitionists and freedom seekers have had a profound impact on the nation’s history.
The kickoff event on June 17 will highlight William Kashatus, respected Underground Railroad historian and local author.
Additional programs will include:
- 6/24 (Virtual) – Walking in Harriet Tubman’s Footsteps
- 7/1 (Virtual/In-Person) – Abolitionists and the Eusebius and Sarah Barnard House
- With self-guided tours to follow on 7/3-7/4
- 7/15 (Virtual) – Parker Sisters Kidnapping and Rescue
- 7/22 (Virtual) – The Lewis-Fussell Family Story
- 8/12 (Virtual) – Post-Civil War and the Road to Recovery
- 8/19 (In-Person) – Touring the history of the Welsh Baptist Historic District & Mason Dixon Line
- With additional tours to follow on August 21
The Town Tours and Village Walks program is made possible through a partnership between the Chester County Board of Commissioners, Chester County Planning Commission, Chester County History Center, Chester County Historic Preservation Network, Chester County Conference and Visitors Bureau, and many volunteers.
In addition to this year’s Town Tours and Village Walks program, Kennett Square’s Voices Underground has prepared a diverse list of Juneteenth events (some which take place before the kickoff event and some after), which can be found here: https://www.vuproject.org/juneteenth.
For more information about the 2021 Town Tours and Village Walks program, visit https://chescoplanning.org/HisResources/TownTours.cfm.